Friday, May 13, 2011

Q and A begins....

As I mentioned yesterday, I am not going to just spew out info to you all, this needs to be a give and take kind of blog, so I need to hear from you.
So for those that listened, here are your responses, and Margie H., So Cal, I hope this gives blog starts to give you some ideas for ‘what to eat”. Bottom line for me, I only eat things I enjoy, and I like quantity!!

From Lisa L. , So. Cal
What did you eat for dinner last night?”

Well Lisa, I will start with this info. I went to pick up my son from school and my husband’s windows were all down. I asked him why and he said he always drives with the windows down. Then he soon confessed that he had eaten a cheeseburger and fries and wanted to get the smell out of his car. (By the way, he can’t hide anything from me.) I asked him, hmmm, “did you read my blog today, Did you have time to eat that?”. And then I told him not to bother reading my blog, I am banning him!! HA I had burgers planned for dinner. But my version is a healthy, yummy version, as I NEVER ever have time to eat a burger out, except when at Fudruckers for a team dinner and choose the turkey burger on the wheat bun by default.

My version, lean ground beef, 7% fat by weight, the new whole wheat/whole grain “thins” that are 100 calories for my bun, no cheese as not a fan, but avocado which is a much better fat choice, grilled onions, grilled Ortega chili, raw onions, jalapeno peppers, romaine lettuce, ripe tomato slices, mustard and ketchup, and one big mouth to bite it with. Since a burger is never enough and French fries are not an option for me, purchased a bag of broccoli slaw and added a tad bit of Chinese chicken salad dressing from Costco, half the fat of regular dressings, topped with lots of green onions, a few toasted almonds and either mandarin oranges from a can or a few bits of dried mango. YUM-O as Rachel Ray likes to say. For those of you that watch her, have you noticed she only cooks with whole-wheat pasta in her new episodes. She alone will convert the masses to make this switch. As she says when you read the label, you are hard pressed to use the semolina pasta which has no nutritional value compared to the ww version. And talk about FIBER!!

From Dr. Brooke, Minnesota
What is the difference between P90X which I love and CrossFit?
Brooke, I can definitely answer that as I am a P90Xer. The issue I have with P90X is that if you try to do what is recommended, meaning 6 days a week for 90 days straight, most everyone that I know who has done this was totally fatigued by the time they were done and stop exercising completely after this. This is not the mentality we want you to have. Moderation in all aspects of life, so do I believe anyone needs to exercise six days a week, absolutely not. Secondly, I HATE Tony Horton’s voice, face and body language, he is annoying. So when I workout with it, I turn the volume off and put my computer next to my TV where I can watch the Food Network or HGTV! I love P90X for an occasional workout in my week. While I prefer to workout outside, when I don’t want to go anywhere or I am pressed for time or I am in a hotel on vacation, I pull out my computer. Easy, effective, no equipment needed or bands and tubing I can take with me anywhere, and in about 45 minutes I now have time to eat the things I want to that day.

As far as comparing to CF, the comaraderie at the facility is unmatched. I worked out/worked in a gym for 15 years. No one cares about your workout or motivates you during and after like the people at CF, unless you are paying a trainer to do that at a gym. This really is for people who are weekend warriors, as I can’t see the meek and mild being interested in this type of workout/competition. I love the fact that every single workout is different, and since I don’t look at the website before I go it, it is always a surprise. I think if I knew what I was walking into I might never get there. Plus, for me, I can do my cardio anywhere, anytime. I needed to incorporate more intense weight training, critically important for us women especially as we get older to increase our muscle mass so we have time to eat more, and/or prevent the pounds that creep up as we get older from that lack of muscle, plus help us to not lose and hopefully lay down more bone mass. Not something you can just walk into by the way. They prefer you to go to a “ramp up” week or two to learn the exercises so you don’t take away from the regulars. Check it out. My goal is to go two days a week, and I work it around my work schedule. The other 1-3 days, I like to workout minimum 3 days and max 5 days, are my outside cardio days with hiking, biking or stairs/running combo.

Since I am leaving on a plane in about 3 hours, I need to cut this short today. I plan what I will do with my food everyday, but especially days like today. Breakfast at home which will be a “thin” with almond butter with flaxseeds from Trader Joes, all fruit Blueberry jelly, 1 cup soy milk with 1 cup water with a vanilla roobis tea bag. I will bring a Tupperware with roasted veggies and ww pita chips, a small bag of cashews, and Derek and I will hopefully stop at Subway on the way to airport to get a sandwich for the plane. For me, omega 3 bread with turkey, dry, with spinach, jalapenos, tomatoes, cucumbers, and avocado since I need to get some fat in this meal.

Signing off and hoping for more questions/comments tomorrow. g
And tell a friend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment