Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Clean living, clean eating....

From the dictionary;
clean |klēn|
1 free from pollutants or unpleasant substances : we will create a cleaner, safer environment.
2 morally uncontaminated; pure; innocent : clean living.

If you choose to eat "clean", there is no doubt you will feel good and you will allow your body to reach homeostasis. Being balanced always feels good, whether you are sitting, standing, or the like.

Susan said...
I'm reading and listening and processing all of your helpful suggestions. I've made much better food choices this week, now I need to work on exercising. Thanks Gina!

Susan, one step at a time. This is not an all or none proposition. You are beginning to make changes and that is a good thing. I want you to start to think about what will fit into your life as far as movement goes. If you are a home body, then perhaps an exercise video or exercise bike in front of the TV will be the right thing for you. If you are more social, I recommend enlisting a friend who also has the desire to make changes and now your motivate each other. I love being outside to workout and I HATE being alone. I have managed for almost 25 years to have one or more exercise partners. The names have changed over the years, but the one constant is me refusing to have a sedentary lifestyle. Finances do not need to hold back anyone from exercising. As someone who worked the majority of her career in a gym, I am the first one to tell you don't join it. I would prefer you to buy a punch card and take a few of these classes or a few of those classes. The health club industry banks on the majority of members to NEVER step foot in their door.

Now on to my thoughts on clean eating. My 16 year old son can eat anything he desires, though it doesn't always make him feel good. After a weekend of yucky eating for him, he decided to enlist my help (weird, we have a theme going here)as he has had enough. He has just finished AP testing and can now sit back a bit through the end of the school year. He has a few papers to write and a blood drive to run, and with high school swim season over, he can now turn his focus to water polo. He has asked with an appointment with our physical therapist, she is awesome, to evaluate his aches and pains so that she can give him some exercises to help get his body in balance. And now he wants to focus on clean eating. Derek is willing to try most anything, hates broccoli though, and so he is open to suggestions. This morning he took off with a sandwich thin with almond butter and flaxseeds, with all fruit blueberry jelly, and a banana. In his lunch is a natural PB and all fruit jelly sandwich on whole wheat bread. Two cuties, an apple, trail mix with only almonds, cashews and dried cranberries, and blue corn tortilla chips. NO crap in this foods, as we stay away from nitrates and monosodium glutamate, which is hidden on labels with the name autolyed yeast extract and yeast extract, which you can find in most savory foods, even when it says "organic".

One thing I am going to recommend immediately is that you READ THE LABELS on everything you buy. The more things you can't pronounce, the more you should stay away from them. The cleaner the food, hence the closer it comes to its natural packaging, the better it will be for you. A whole banana as opposed to a banana muffin, an egg as opposed to a premade egg concoction, you get the picture.

My plan today was being outside to do stairs with a friend. Rain has curtailed the plans. While I am totally unmotivated to workout especially since I am alone and have plenty to keep me occupied, I am going to drop Alaina baby off at school and come home to do a p90x workout, with volume turned off and HGTV or Food channel on. Then off to do presentation at high school on Donate Life, and when Alaina returns from early out day, we will finally organize her closet and bathroom after little redecorating project we did for her 13th day.

Stay tuned, g

PS My breakfast, my normal 1 cup water, 1 cup vanilla soy milked warmed up with Vanilla Chai tea decaf tea bag and a mango, blueberry, raspberry bran muffin from Trader Joes.

3 comments:

  1. Hi G,
    Been following along and am staying tuned. I have had the priviledge of shopping, cooking and exercising w you. I still strive for balance with 4- 13 hour work shifts. although I know that a substitute to clean eating is not ideal- are the protein shakes out there some thing you would ever consider when sitting down and eating is not an option at work. Went for my first 8 mile bike ride this morning...felt great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gina! It's weird that I was thinking about clean food today at work and then I came home to read your blog on it. I love Trader Joe's, stocking up on their products as often as I can. My exercise of choice is my Wii. I am a bit of a homebody who is presently working lots of OT. I don't seem to have tons of energy when I get home and once I get home I don't want to leave. So after the hockey game I'm going to go Just Dance. Thank you so much for your encouragement and great ideas! Oh I always wondered if gyms had punch cards as I thought that was a great idea. I'm going to look into that as I think I might enjoy some water aerobics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Gina!!!
    Love your blog and the info you're sharing!! My go to snack that I have portioned out in baggies is raw (unsalted unroasted) almonds w/dried cranberries-so of course I loved seeing that was so similar to one of Derek's snacks he took with him. Question about the almond butter flax seed sandwich-are the flaxseeds whole or ground? I've heard that our body can't absorb the omega 3's as well if they're whole-do you know is that the case?

    ReplyDelete