Friday, May 20, 2011

If I didn't work out, I might harm someone!!

Ever encounter a "rent-a-cop" who just needs to throw around their authority. Just had an episode at our regional park and I know I could have taken this women down and hog tied her in a moment. Which makes me think about the security people at Cal State University Fullerton, where they are all parking nazis. Every time I go to get a permit fo a drive we are doing, there is a line of people there wanted to complain about unfair ticketing. I have received two very unethical tickets myself there. Which is where my title of this blog came in, I am positive if I didn't work out that I might harm some dumb ass that steps into my path at the wrong time. Hmmmmmm, guess I need to keep going to therapy. Oh, and meanwhile, since I refuse to pay the one day fee to get into the park, I am in the center next door's parking lot, where it is posted all over "shopping center parking only". Just let them try....

Lets address our comments from the last blog....
Deb said...
Great blog Gina! Love the info! For me it's a challenge between severe breathing issues making regular exercise basically impossible and food issues making healthy eating challenging. Argh. I do as much exercise as I can but often it's more core, crunches, light weights, vs. the cardio I'd really like to be doing. I just can't breath well enough to do that on a regular basis... very spotty. The healthy food choices can be very frustrating too and BORING... food allergies and intolerances are like that. I am thrilled to see Scott running 1/2 and full marathons and out on his road bike like crazy but I wish I could join him!
May 19, 2011 2:41 AM

Deb, do me a favor and start a food diary for a week, and email to me. I want to see what you can eat and if we can't make your options more exciting. As for exercise, a little can go a long way. So now that Spring has sprung, perhaps putting the baby in the stroller with Casey in tow, even for short stretches, can be good for you. Little bits in a day, that can add up to 30 plus minutes, will benefit you. March in place, stationary bike, little bits at a time.

Caitlin said...
Hey Gina! Love the blog. I have a question for you. I live by myself,work full time, and it seems that the vast majority of my weekends are spent out of town or at all day commitments as well. I work all day and then I go to my taekwondo class 3-4 days a week (which is a very hard workout), and often don't get home until after 9. I try to eat healthy and want to eat better and strive to live by the "if you can't pronounce it, don't eat it" rule. My main problem is that living by myself I find it difficult to keep up with cooking and not letting stuff go to waste. Like, recently I went to Costco and bought a bunch of great veggies, had a great few days of eating, I can only eat so much and I get sick of eating the same thing every day and now I have a bunch of food in my fridge on the verge of spoiling. I hate wasting the money and food. On top of that, by the time I get home I often find I don't have the energy to cook up a whole dinner just for me and I will end up just having a bowl of cereal or something. This morning I woke up and looked for something to bring for lunch and don't have anything packable, so in the end up taking sliced avocado and mango - which means it will probably be supplemented with buying something. Thanks for any advice!
Caitlin
May 19, 2011 4:56 AM

Caitlin, I actually used your "if you can't pronounce it, don't eat it" rule this week and taught it to Derek as well. This advice Kelly can use as well, since I realize I didn't really address her as I needed to the other day. Frozen veggies/fruit actually better than fresh, as they are frozen right after picking. So buying the frozen organic broccoli, brown rice and bunches of other options in the freezer section at Costco not a bad idea. Then you just pull out the individual bag of broccoli, fish, rice and you nuke and are eating in 5 minutes. Food prep when are are home is critical, so that things are ready to just be warmed up, and no reason you can't freeze things in portion sizes for you. Does take a bit of effort, but well worth it in the long run. You just have to get in the habit just like everything else we have to do in life.

Lissa said...
Love Love Love the blog Gina!!!!! Question for everyone else out there....I am not getting email updates when you post Gina. :( Is everyone else getting them? I went through the process of typing in the crazy code, etc. Any suggestions?
May 19, 2011 9:31 AM
Susan said...
Lissa-It took awhile for me to finally start getting the email updates. They sometimes come the day after Gina posts her blog, but they are coming.
I'd like to suggest to all of those that like brown rice, but don't always have the time to make it, to do a search for Alton Brown's baked brown rice recipe. I usually make it on the weekend and eat off of it all week. It's turned out perfect every time.
I just came from Costco. They now carry a snack mix with soy nuts, cranberries and pumpkin kernels. It looks good. Reading all labels now Gina! Off to eat some salmon that is broiling and some Wii after the hockey game. Your dinner looked awesome Gina!
May 19, 2011 7:23 PM

To all of you who are having issues, I know Mary said she gets notification at 1am the day after I blog. Just probably a good idea to bookmark our page and just try to look every morning or evening for it. No big deal if you are a day behind me, right?!

So, my nephew called to tell me he would be blowing his eating plan this weekend, laughing the entire time. Told me he is headed on a boys trip, hanging with 25 year olds to go ATVing. He is over 40. He said he was going to have to have a burger, which I said fine too. But he needed to try to stick to the plan, write everything down and curtail the alcohol as way easy to drink more than your allotted calories alone. He then tattled on this family, after getting severe pressure to try the "cake pops"his daughter made, and they all told him what Aunt Gina doesn't know won't hurt him. Well, due to our high degree of Catholic guilt, he confessed he ate half of one and that it was awesome. He also confessed he stepped on the scale before his Sunday weigh in. Thankfully he liked what he saw, but I reprimanded him once again, as I don't want his move and motivation to be drive by the damn scale. We all know how the number on the scale can dictate our mood for the day/week/month!!

I also have to share that Derek continues to take his eating program very seriously. He writes everything down, that is the OCD part of them that makes it easy, and went shopping with me to the grocery store and Costco. We read labels and assessed best choices, and he opted out of Top Ramen soup, Evan's staple by the way, and Cup of Soup, since there were far too many things we could not pronounce. Thanks Caitlin.

Yesterday I was out and starving after an amazing workout at Cross Fit. I told the owner we needed to name the workout "Better than Childbirth" because while the entire 25 minutes I was suffering greatly, once the workout was over, the pain was over. Unlike childbirth which lasts waaayyyy longer. Best of all, I felt really successful with my workout, doing things I never thought I could do. Tomorrow I hope to write a little more on this topic. But now I want to talk about my food. My go to place is Flame Broiler. In So Cal they are all over and I wish I took a picture of my outside every one, as I could definitely be their spokesperson.
I always get a mini bowl with brown rice topped with green onions, and since my iron has not been great, I have been opting for the beef over the chicken of late. 384 calories topped with lots of jalapenos, free. Along with a side of steamed veggies, no calories in Gina's camp, topped with sirachi sauce, is that a Cali thing, also calorie free?


While my go to used to be Subway, I find that after a 6 inch Subway, same basic calories, I don't feel full, and with Flame Broiler, I do.

Dinner, another three piece meal, remembering 60% carbs, 15% protein and 25% fat, Mark bbq'd wild salmon with some herbs, I made a rice from TJs, that had multiple types in it cooked in chicken broth. I always keep a jar of "Better than Boullion" in my refrig, but only the chicken flavor, as the beef has MSG! And then since I knew I didn't have enough asparagus for us all, I know Alaina and Derek won't eat broccoli, I steamed a bunch of it for me and topped with sirachi again, which I roasted the asparagus in 450 degree convention oven for about 10 minutes, tossed with a tad of EVOO, s and P, and shredded parmesan cheese. The mistake I made was not cooking it on my silicone pads on baking sheet or using non stick foil, as my kids love the crunchy cheese that falls off as well.


And fyi, I not only did stairs/run workout for an hour today with Kim at 7am, yuck, but I hiked with a new friend, Lori, lost her perfect 19 year old girl a few weeks ago, for 2 hours. Guess what, I do have time to eat it today!!
Stay tuned, g

2 comments:

  1. Great gazpacho recipe.....tons of veggies!! Almost entirely "free"!
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/06/gazpacho/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Love the blog and love reading bout the new ideas. I have 2 kids 5 and 3 years old, I am always looking for new kid friendly meals and snacks that everyone will love! Do u have any on mind?

    ReplyDelete