Tuesday, April 17, 2012

What's for Lunch today??

I was recently referred to the website skinnytaste.com . I want to say outright that I am NOT a supporter of gluten-free/low-carb at all (unless someone has a gluten intolerance/allergy). I do not agree with the Paleo diet. I (and my mom and I are on the same page on this!) think that whole grains are very essential in your diet. Eliminate carbs made from white flour and cut out processed sugars from your diet. If you take bad carbs out of the picture, what you're left with are a source of nutrition that provides a lot of energy for your body. Not to mention the fiber benefits found in whole grains. Anyways! - this website promotes a lot of gluten-free things, because that is the big fad diet right now. So, moral of this long winded paragraph, take the recipes with a grain of salt. And remember, 'good' carbs are good!!!

So the point of bringing up this website, is that I found a recipe for 'Zesty Avocado Cilantro Buttermilk Dressing'. This sounded awesome, and since I was planning on making a big salad for lunch, this seemed like the perfect topping.

The ingredients in this recipe are:
  • 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
  • 1 small jalapeno
  • 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro
  • 1 medium haas avocado
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 2 tbsp chopped scallion
  • juice of 1 lime
  • 1/8 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt

And get this, the website provided nutrition info! I love that!
Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 3 1/2 tbsp Calories: 64.9 • Fat: 4.8 g • Protein: 1.8 g • Carb: 5.1 g • Fiber: 2.2 g • Sugar: 1.9 Sodium: 128.8 mg

A side note is that I found this recipe when I had just gotten back from the store, so I didn't have scallions or cilantro (which are actually usually staples for me!). So my version is a smidge different. Let's go!

Did you know that if you don't have buttermilk, you can simply squeeze a lemon into some milk and let it sit for a few minutes? I love this trick. The acid in the lemon makes the milk curdle, and voila! you've got buttermilk. So measure 3/4 cup. (I use 1% milk. The fat found in milk can only be found here and there are benefits to - no need to go fat free, and at the same time, don't overdo it with whole milk).
Take your avocado, split in half and take out the pit. Place in your food processor or blender.
Next, I added in my salt, pepper and cumin. Oh, and two cloves of garlic! The recipe called for one, but I love garlic.
Squeeze the lime juice right in!
Slice the top off of your jalapeno, and then cut it in half. If you are sensitive to heat, cut out the membranes and seeds. Chop into rough pieces, and throw in the food processor.
Place your buttermilk in the food processor. [Add half of the milk to start, if you want your dressing thinner, add more until you reach the desired consistency!] At this point, you would add the cilantro and scallions.

Alright, taste your dressing. Add more seasoning if needed. Add some more of the milk if you want it thinner. Make it perfect for you!

Let's plate it up....
I took a plate and heaped on a bunch of salad. I took a can of tuna and used about half of it. All I did was scatter it around the plate. Then I took some cherry tomatoes, cut them in half and added them to the salad. Finally, use a spoon (remember the nutrition info is based on 3.5 tablespoons per serving!) and place some dressing on your salad. You won't need all of the dressing you made for your one salad!

Now remember, carbs are good. I would serve this with a nice slice of whole grain bread or some whole wheat pita chips!
Want to fancy up your drink to go with your lunch? I got this drink in part from two wonderful women in my life... my mom combines her sparkling water with slices of fruit. And our dear friend Kari T helped me realize that you don't have to reserve your wine glasses for alcoholic beverages. It adds a touch of elegance to any drink! :)Enjoy your eats today!
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment