Sunday, June 5, 2011

Let's keep it simple....

As more and more people are soliciting my advice, I like this by the way, I find it incredibly important to practice what I preach, as well as preach what I practice, by sharing the personal journey with my wellness as well. And I do feel that so many of us are at a point of no return, where it must just seem so overwhelming to contemplate the change toward wellness and where to possibly start. I do appreciate shows like Biggest Loser, Heavy, I Used To Be Fat, and the new show, Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Addition, where we can actually witness how one can take themselves, with lots and lots of help I might add, from dangerously unhealthy to the picture of health. It is possible, which is important to know, but having goals that are attainable and sustainable are key. When we see these people on TV makes these drammmmmatic changes, it is not without serious pain and suffering, help financially so they can commit to working out for a living, as well as the surgery that will be essential for all them them once they reach their goals, not to mention lots of therapy to overcome the issues that got them into this predicament in the first place. The sustainability factor is still the factor in question in all cases. I would like to see a show with all those contestants on the Biggest Loser now, and how many have managed to keep up the good fight. I have a feeling that most are not capable to sustaining the wellness factor for the long haul.

I mentioned my sister will join me in a few weeks to begin her summer at Gina's Boot Camp. Neither of us know what the summer will look like, but one thing is for sure, change will occur. Chris has started already, thinking about her food, exercising, sharing with her doctor of what she plans to do, but concerned about how much pain she will have to endure while trying to reach for her wellness goals. As a trainer, I will push her beyond where she wants to do, yes I am similar to Jillian in that manner, hate to tell you no pain no gain really is true, when it comes to making changes in all aspects of life. She did ask me how she would know the difference between injury pain and soreness pain, and my answer, "oh, you will know". My 23 year old niece texted today asking for my advice on how to get a six pack going, and guess where is has to start? Food Diary!! Hope those that are following got that right. Tomorrow, the high school girl's water polo team is supposed to have their food diaries ready for me. I have a feeling most will not. I told the coach not to remind them. And tomorrow, when I show up at practice, those who have not followed the plan will be paying the price. Contemplating how much pain I plan to inflict on them and in what form, can't wait!! Stay tuned.

Let's look at comments since last blog was posted:
Mary C said...
Have a question for you and figured it would be best to ask it on here so others might benefit from the answer. On these hot summer days, I drink almost exclusively water. However, sometimes I really crave something cold with a little more flavor, but don't want to have a drink with a lot of sugar or chemicals. Any ideas for me?

Mary C said...
Did some brainstorming and thought about making iced tea and sweetening with simple sugar.....any other ideas would be great!


mks said...
Idea for Mary C: "Sassy Water" from the flat belly diet! Refreshing and flavorful without sweeteners. You can vary the amount of the ingredients. Or use other fruits to add flavor - lots of hotels and spas do this. I also drink a lot of unsweetened ice tea - black or herbal. Try some of Celestial Seasonings fruit ones - Raspberry Zinger, Peach, etc.

Sassy Water:
2 liters water (about 8 ½ cups)
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1 medium cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
1 medium lemon, thinly sliced
12 small spearmint leaves.

Combine all ingredients in a large pitcher and let flavors blend overnight.
- - - - - - - -

I for one loved Mary's question. I drink ONLY water, filtered water in 5 gallon bottles from the local water store, since when my husband was on his water kick a few years ago, he loved that water. I do drink one bottle or less of Pellagrino sparkling water a day, with or without lemon or lime, as this is my treat. A few days a week I have one cup of red wine in the evening, full of antioxidants, and every day Derek and I drink one cup of bottle carrot and beet juice from Trader Joes. Oh yeah, my morning drink is one cup water, one cup vanilla soy with a tea bag of choice, usually decaf, and I may repeat this at night if I need some additional calories.

As I was discussing with Mary fruited options which we love when at the spa, we get this recipe from MKS for “sassy water”. Sounds fab!! And these ideas/thoughts really exhaust all our options for drinks of wellness, minus lots of sugar and chemicals. I totally abhor artificial sweeteners, and one of the first things we do when making changing in eating plans is to remove them all.

My personal experience is this: as a young girl, soda was a treat and we were offered it on Sundays for family dinners and at parties. My parents usually opted for diet once saccaharin came into the picture. I remember drinking Tab in high school on occasion. When I got to college, nutrasweet came into the picture, and I immediately would get a serious headache upon drinking the new sweetener in my diet soda. And that was that. I have not had a soda since, period, 31 years later. No desire, and not an option, causing myself to have a headache was not worth it, ever!! My kids know I would rather them drink regular soda then to drink anything sweetened with a chemical. My husband is a different story.
- - - - - - -

For those of you who are following my commentary with Lynn, here is her latest email after my asking her to commit to food diary:
You have my commitment...I'm working on the 3rd day of the journal...and will admit, this is much harder then I thought.  Simply because I know I'm recording everything I eat, and that alone, is enough to discourage me from things.  Because I know I'm going to get criticized on it...constructive of course...but still enough to really make me think about my actions.  So I just wanted to say thanks.  I really think your push will be enough for me to turn my health around and get on track.  Something I've never had in my life.  This morning I read your last post on Caringbridge..and you had said that your top weight was 148 pounds.  Do you have any idea how disgusted I was with myself when I read that?  148 would be super skinny for me...at least to me it would.  Haven't seen that number in many years, so I wouldn't know.  But the thought that you think that's a lot.  When I dream of being that small.  So..in that...again.. Thank you.  And I look forward to your advice, your push...and any and all help you can give me.  I really need to make this change for not just me, but for my daughter too.  I don't want her battling weight like I do.  She’s not heavy at all now, she’s 7 and weighs 47 pounds.  Size 6 jean for the length and 7/8 shirt for the length (short legs, long torso).  I want the best life I can give her..and if I can't lead by example, I'll never do a good job at that.

Lynn, Love you sharing your words. The food diary is possibly t he hardest part of the road to wellness, and you expressed what everyone will feel when they attempt to do it. To be forced to write down what you put in your mouth and account for every calorie, makes you rethink if you really “have time to eat it” and if it will help you achieve your goal of “wellness”. Step one, right?!

As to the weight thing, first off, I am 5’2” tall, so the weight thing is not something to compare unless you are my height and build. I certainly can make a prediction based on height and body type, what your desired weight range might be, but until I know these factors, you too, don’t even think about comparing my 148 pounds to your weight. I was definitely “chubby fat”, everyone in my family will tell you that. My ideal weight is around 112-115, I was 30 pounds overweight, and on a short person, many sizes from where I am today.

And lastly, you and I know how I feel about our kids. We are 100% responsible for modeling behavior in every aspect of life that we want them to have. Wellness is critical, but today I really had an eye opener on the faith side of it and will share that in the near future on my other blog, “Perspective from the Eyes of a Grieving Mother” at ginacousineau.blogspot.com soon. How in the world can our kids learn wellness if we don’t provide it for them?? I watch a show called “Too Fat for Fifteen”, where teenagers go to Wellsprings Academy for the entire school year to learn how to find a healthy lifestyle and go to school as well. The parents in most cases are making no changes at home, and in some cases sabotage the kids when they do get home. Huge missing link in this methodology. If it was my school, the entire family would attend. Not possible, but they would be responsible for lifestyle changes at home!!
- - - - - -
Recipe Share:

Chicken Tortilla Soup

2 qts. chicken stock (made when cooking the chicken breasts)
1 large red onion, diced
3 handfuls of tortilla chips
3 roma tomatoes, diced
1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
2 zucchini, diced
2 carrots, diced
salsa to taste
2-3 large chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
toppings of your choice
s and p to taste

Bring water and chicken breasts, bone in, skinned to boil, with once quartered onion, bay leaf, salt and 6-12 peppercorns. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain, set chicken aside until cool enough to shred. (I also use this chicken to make enchiladas.)

Bring 1 quart chicken broth to boil with red onion in soup pot.
In blender, combine remaining broth with chips until smooth.
Pour into soup pot with veggies, simmer covered until desired doneness.
Add chicken and heat through.

Chicken Enchiladas

Shredded chicken from above
Finely diced onions
parmesan cheese
Add amounts to your taste and mix well.
Corn tortillas warmed in oven until pliable and keep in dish towel until ready to put together.
Use favorite enchilada sauce, read labels, low fat and not a lot of crude, or make your own.
Spray 13x9 pan with cooking spray. Cover bottom with layer of sauce. Roll tortillas with filling and place seam down in pan. Sprinkle lightly with cheese of your choice, cover with foil underside sprayed with cooking spray or use nonstick foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes and then remove foil for 10 additional minutes.
Top with lots of homemade salsa.

Homemade Salsa

In food processor, chop one onion, 2 cloves garlic and quartered jalapeno.
Dump in bowl. Chop one bunch cilantro next. Add to bowl.
Then place one large can tomatoes to processor and puree. Add to bowl.
Salt, pepper, and secret ingredient, cumin, to taste. Yum!!
- - - - -
Keep the comments coming, the more I get, the more I will blog.
Stay tuned, g

2 comments:

  1. My biggest struggle is with carbs, even the healthy ones. If I stick to lean proteins and vegies I do fine and feel in control. Add in carbs and it's a struggle. I'm also struggling with the thought that everyone that I know that has lost weight, is unable to keep it off. I've lost over 200 lbs on my own. I've managed to keep 100 of it off but it needs to go too. I just wish it wasn't such a lifelong commitment and struggle. I do know that my life won't be that long if I don't though. Thanks for this blog Gina! I'm determined to get my act together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so enjoying this blog and the interaction amongst everyone. Love the recipes. I was so inspired I made both the enchiladas and homemade salsa for dinner. Salsa is FANTASTICO!!! I think next time I will divide it in half and add extra jalapeno to 1/2. The enchiladas were great too....I added 1 box of frozen spinach and 1/2 can of black beans.

    Reading labels is eye opening!!! I used Old El Paso enchilada sauce because that's what was in our pantry. Could pronounce the 1st 4 indredients and then forget it-I think it was a lot of preservatives, possibly MSG, which I know Gina is a big no no!!!

    I wanted to share w/all of you a little bit of my background w/my personal weight shtuff. In 2003 I had lost 37 lbs. by joining Weight Watchers-I really learned a lot by going to the meetings and my own dedication to nutrition education. Then life happened and I am back to where I was. granted 15 lbs. of it is post baby weight (I have a 2 month old). Here are a couple of tidbits I learned through Weight Watchers that I swear by:
    1. Food Journaling-paying attention to both ingredients and serving sizes. I measured EVERYTHING!!! I really learned what a serving size is and what it looks like. Some things were much more than I expected and was pleasantly surprised. However, most things were much less of course.
    2. They also told us to take measurements of our upper arms, waist, hips, thighs. So I started with both a weight and measurements. This was so very helpful when I hit a plateau weight-wise I would take some measurements and usually be motivated by those. I know how easy it is to get wrapped up in the scale numbers.
    3. The most valuable thing I learned I think was how to sneak vegetables into everything. This is the tool I use most often. For example adding the box of frozen spinach to the enchiladas, I've also shredded up a zuchinni for the enchiladas, or it works great on a quesadilla as well. Good tricks for when my son gets older I think!!! :)

    ReplyDelete