Friday, June 24, 2011

I'm back.... talking about SNACKS!

I’m back! I had so much fun writing my first blog that I thought I should try my hand at another foodie write-up. Thought I would start out the blog with some good snack ideas. First up – bars. A lot of people think that it’s okay to go ahead and use a bar as a meal replacement….guess what, folks, not a good idea! These bars are made to be the perfect snacks, not meals. Most run at about 200 calories, which is not enough calories for a meal – so stick to using them as snacks. My two bar recommendations for you are: ‘Clif Z bar’ and ‘Larabar’. Both are great, without a long list of unpronounceable ingredients. The Larabars are awesome – 4-5 ingredients per bar! That’s my idea of perfection. I tried the key lime larabar today – the ingredients were: dates, cashews, almonds, unsweetened coconut, and lime juice concentrate. It was delicious and totally tasted like a dessert! [220 calories, 10g fat, 4g protein, 4g fiber]. I’ve only tried the blueberry for the Clif Z bar, but totally loved it – tasted like a blueberry muffin. [120 calories, 2.5g fat, 3g protein, 3g fiber].


Another easy snack is using fruit to get your fill. I coach swimming in the evenings, and I’m there from 530-830. Usually I would eat dinner somewhere in there, so I always bring a snack because I tend to get pretty hungry then! The other day I cut up some fruit (strawberries, banana, kiwi) and ate that along with my blueberry Clif Z bar.

I had leftover strawberries, so the next day I had a bowl of cereal for a snack – Kashi Heart to Heart, with light vanilla Silk soymilk, and cut strawberries on top. Whenever I’m hungry after I’ve already eaten dinner – my mom’s go to advice is to have cereal! I’ve learned to love this, as it really is just enough to fill you up, and if you have a healthy brand at home, can give you some good nutrients that your body needs at the same time.

One more snack for you guys..... baked potato and sweet potato fries. I did baked potato fries on Tuesday, and sweet potato fries Thursday. My SP fries picture didn't turn out very pretty, so just use your imagination to see the BP picture with an orange tint to it. :) Anyways.... this is easy to do and MUCH healthier than having fries out would be. I wash the potato thoroughly to start - leave the skin on because of the bonus of tons of nutrients and vitamins, but you want to make sure to give it a good scrub. Then I cut the potato in half from top to bottom (lengthwise). I then cut each piece in half, and then into slices.
---> TIME SAVING ALERT! In order to avoid some of the long baking time, I first stick the slices on a microwaveable plate. Take a paper towel and drench it - then ring it out and lay it on top of the plate. Microwave on the potato setting 1-2x, until cooked through. Then I place on a baking sheet with foil (sprayed with nonstick spray), and top with salt (and any other seasonings). Bake at 450 for less than 10 minutes, or until crispy in your oven.
One other thing that I like to do is eat a salad while I'm waiting for something else to cook. I made this bad boy using the head of romaine I got earlier in the week. I always cut up my veggies (lettuce included) right when I get back from the store. Then I have easily accessible veggies ready to go all week. Back to the salad.....romaine, green bell pepper cut up, halved grape tomatoes, wheatberries and balsamic vinaigrette dressing. Usually make my own dressing, but this time went for the bottle with the least amount of ingredients. Yum!
- - - - - - -
Another great snack/breakfast idea came from Lissa....
Splash of OJ
~1/3 c vanilla yogurt (I usually use greek)
1 banana
handful of frozen fruit (I usually use mixed berries)
2 Tbs. ground flax seed
Sometimes I'll add some tofu if we have it.

- - - - -
Last but not least, one note about the nitrate-free bacon. It is no problem to find in most major areas. I just happen to live in a little pocket of northwest Indiana and can't always find what I'm looking for! For most of you, you should have no problem finding!


I'll wrap this post up with some advice from me. My mom always has great pearls of wisdom to offer you all, so I thought I'd share some of my accumulated knowledge as well... In regards to food, be willing to try new things, and if you’re not sure about something, look it up!! I am constantly googling things. The internet is an incredible source of information, and you can find just about anything with a few strokes of the keyboard. I look up nutritional information, recipe suggestions, how to cut a particular fruit or vegetable, what the best temperature to cook a type of beef is, etc. Don't be afraid, and remember, you can always leave us a comment and ask here! We'll be happy to find the answer if we don't know it.

XO, Mary

2 comments:

  1. Awesome second post girl. Made the overnight oatmeal last night for consumption this morning, as Derek and I walked out the door at 7am for an early game an hour a way. I used 3/4 c. oats and vanilla soy and a little nutmeg/cinnamon. 300 calories. I took a small banana along which I sliced into, and had hot tea. Flavor....reminded me of rice pudding which I love. Also of baby rice cereal, which for every bite I would give the kids, I would take on. Still debating on if this will work for me and how much I liked it. I will try using 1/2 c. of each and then add chopped nuts or almond butter. Off to eat lunch, two high fiber tortillas with 1 1/2 oz. mozzarella cheese, in hot pan with cooking spray, topped with lots and lots of salsa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such excellent ideas and recipes! You two absolutely amaze and inspire me! Eating healthy takes lots of planning. In your busy lives you have made a true commitment to it. You walk the talk! I have way too much time on my hands, so I have no excuse. Time to do more doing then reading. Thanks again for all that you both do!

    ReplyDelete