Friday, September 28, 2012

Panzanella AKA Bread Salad

Panzanella is a salad of bread and tomatoes. You can add a lot of variations to this to personalize it. I was watching Ina Garten on Food Network this afternoon and when I saw her make a grilled version of this salad, I paused the show and headed to the store to get the necessary ingredients. 

Slice up red and yellow bell peppers, as well as a red onion. Brush with olive oil and grill. (You can totally do this outdoors OR indoors!) While these were grilling, I cut up a tomato into small cubes. Ina's recipe called for a hothouse cucumber and capers, as well. I don't love cucumber so I skipped this, and I  was too impatient to look for the capers. Geez! She also added some chopped basil to this mixture - my grocery store was out of this. 

Flip the vegetables to grill both sides. Once done, add the onions to the tomato/cucumber mixture, and place the bell pepper on a cutting board to cut into smaller pieces. Then add to the salad. After that, slice a baguette on the diagonal and lightly oil - grill up. Once grilled to perfection, add to the salad.

You will top all of this with a homemade vinaigrette. Mix, and serve warm. Yum! 





I think the salad would look 10x better with the specks of green from the basil. But let them assure you that even with some modifications, this salad was delicious!


Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment