Thursday, August 30, 2012

Balls O' Health

Do you buy "sport's bars"?? If so, you might be surprised to see the ridiculous number of ingredients and those that you cannot possible pronounce. I for one cannot in good conscience buy another one. My goal this year is to stay away from all processed food items and what I have learned is that I can make my own, which end up tasting better, and have to certainly be better for us.
The other day I made the mistake with a quick purchase at Costco and look at the rating these two got on my iphone app. Never again!!

You can rate your food too by scanning the bar code, download the "Fooducate" app on your smartphone. You will be surprised as I was at "grade" some of my "go to" purchases got. Needless to say, I won't be buying them any longer.

I follow many food blogs, all that propose healthy eating, and this recipe taken from one, with a few tweaks of my own, has become a favorite for Derek and I, along with the boys and girls polo teams. (Alaina refuses to try it.) My hope is to share some of our favorites and that they become yours too.

Ingredients

•1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
• 2 Tbsp hulled hemp seeds
• 2 Tbsp flaxseed, cracked
• ¼ cup unsweetened dried cranberries
• ¼ cup semisweet chocolate chips
• Pinch sea salt
• 1 cup all-natural peanut or nut butter, sugar and salt free
• 2 Tbsp brown-rice syrup or honey





Combine oats, hemp seeds, salt, nut butter and syrup or honey.
In food processor, combine cranberries and whole flaxseeds. Run for a bit to chop cranberries and more importantly, crack the flaxseed. I only have whole flax or ground and I want the crunch from the seed, but without breaking it, we cannot utilize it's nutrients.

Combine all ingredients and mix. I use my hands, much easier to incorporate all.


I use a small ice cream scoop to form uniform balls. I throw in ziplock in freezer and pull them as we need. They make great healthful snack, pre or post meal option.





No comments:

Post a Comment