Wednesday, February 8, 2012

All Hail Kale.....my version

If you want to have the best, most healthful salad you have ever tasted, that is unless you have eaten it at the Veggie Grill, then here it is. Of course, I have tweaked the fat content and changed the nut choice, but this vegan salad is the bomb!!
Disclaimers: Every bunch of kale I have ever purchased has been different in size. And the last time I made this, pics of this version, I purchased two bags of kale at Trader Joes, all ready to go, but we did have to pull off a few big spines that remained....

6 bunches kale (depending on size of kale) or two bags of kale from TJs
2 cups quinoa, cooked
2 cups corn salsa (recipe below)
2 cups red cabbage
8 oz Marcona Almonds (TJs or Costco)
Ginger Papaya dressing (recipe below)

Ginger Papaya Vinaigrette
1 oz fresh ginger root
1 cup lime juice
1 ½ cups fresh papaya (fresh or frozen)
½ cup rice vinegar
1 Tbs. sea salt
1 cup canola oil (the original recipe called for 3 cups, NO WAY was that necessary)
1 ¼ cups evaporated cane juice (could not find, but used agave)
Peel ginger root and papaya, combine with all ingredients to blender (except oil) blend until
smooth. Slowly drizzle oil while continuing to blend until dressing emulsifies, add to container and refrigerate

Corn Salsa
4 cups Roma tomatoes, small dice
1/2 cup red onion, small dice
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup roasted corn, kernels removed from cob
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 oz. lime juice
In large bowl combine all ingredients and mix well

Kale:
Remove spines from kale and chop into 1" squares. Rinse kale in cold water and dry. Place kale
in 3" rectangular container add dressing and Quinoa, toss thoroughly, make sure all kale is coated. Refrigerate overnight preferably or at least for a few hours.


Before serving, toss kale with cabbage, corn salad and almonds.

I have made this several times and people rave about it. Great part is the recipe makes a ton, so several people get to take home a care package. I made this for Derek's winter formal group where I had a few vegans and vegetarians, so I provided a protein for their meal in either tofu or falafel.

2 comments:

  1. Yum Yum Yum!!!! This salad sounds delicious and healthy!!! I've been trying to find different recipes for kale. I love that this is a cold meal version of kale!! Thanks Gina!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a bunch of kale last night thinking the same thing, that no bunch has ever been the same. This recipe sounds very yummy. I like to bake it to make chips. It takes care of my crunchy, salty "needs".

    ReplyDelete