Sunday, December 4, 2011

Let the competition begin....

Bloggers note: To grill veggies, I use non-stick grill pan and olive oil spray on both sides of veggies, s and p. I will put a heavy pot to help expedite the cooking process as well placed right on top of veggies for a few minutes.

Okay, Mary writes awesome post, so now I feel challenged to do the same. Easy peasy homemade healthy pizza, here we come....
Time intensive, but super easy. You need the afternoon to have the tv or radio on nearby and just the time to grill away on your non-stick grill pan.
I love eggplant, zucchini, baby broccoi(which I steam), red onions, red pepper (which I put right over a flame on the burner then once charred, I throw in the paper lunch bag and when cool, rub off the charred skin)
and the tomatoes ( if I have fresh, cut if large, leave if babies, then drizzle with a bit of EVOO, s and p, and roast in hot oven til browned and soft, or I use sun dried tomatoes, in bag from TJs, not oil packed). Next comes the homemade dough, or packaged, TJs has a few kinds to choose from, I always go with the version that is higher in fiber, though this is not WHOLE WHEAT which I would prefer. And your favorite cheese, I like the mildness of mozzarella, I am not a cheese lover, so I use very little, surprise, surprise.
Next comes your favorite healthy sauce option. I usually make my own in big batches and love Giada's recipe which is chocked full of veggies which no one knows about because I puree my sauce.
So before you start anything, get that dough out of bag and cut into 4 portions. This is the perfect personal pan pizza size for most people. Calories on dough is 240 calories.
Ingredients:
dough
sauce
grilled veggies or whatever toppings you like
cheese
chopped fresh arugula or spinach
Plan:
Heat over to 450/500 degrees. Heat pizza stone if you have.
Portion dough, roll into balls, and cover with dishcloth on counter
Make sauce
Grill veggies, ready all toppings
Roll dough to desired thickness, I like mine on the thin side, the more space to put my toppings
Place on pizze peel if you have,using a bit of corn meal to allow dough to roll off peel. Or place lightly on cookie sheet with corn meal or nonstick foil
(Inexpensive at Smart and Final, or sets available at Bed Bath and Beyond.)
Top with sauce, cheese (I use a little sprinkle at this point), mounds of veggies, a bit more cheese, then into the oven.
My little guys cook for about 8-10 minutes at this hot temp.
I love to top mine off with red pepper flakes, and a sprinkle of kosher salt, then mounds of arugula or spinach. My pizza, veggies are FREE, are less than 350 calories. Mark and the kids, with tons of cheese and meat, can't vouch for them!!

1 comment: