Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Easy Veggie Side

I'm always looking for easy ways to cook up veggies....especially now that my sweet husband is NOT a veggie lover. I'd even venture to say that he hates veggies. However, since I have two degrees in health related fields, there is no way that I'm giving up without a fight. I offer to make whatever veggie he is willing to eat, and do my best to come up with creative ways to cook them. The first time I made zucchini for him, it didn't wow him. I thought it was great - zucchini cooked in a little olive oil, seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Yum!

To me, basically any veggie is good with olive oil, salt and pepper. But for my picky husband, I had to work a little bit harder. I turned my search to the internet to help with my quest and found a Cooking Light recipe for Zucchini Oven Chips.

Let's get started....


Here are the ingredients: grated parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, 1% milk, garlic powder, salt, pepper, pam, and of course a zucchini!

Begin by washing and cutting your zucchini up. Lop off the top and bottom.

Slice your zucchini into 1/4" slices.

Next, mix up 1/4 cup of the breadcrumbs, with 1/4 cup of the parmesan. Then add in 1 teaspoon each of salt, garlic powder and ground pepper. Mix it all together with a fork or a whisk.

Put a few tablespoons into a shallow bowl. To begin the process, dunk the zucchini slices into the milk....

....and then move them to the breading mixture and dredge in it.

Get out your ovenproof wire rack and give it a generous spray with the Pam - then set that on top of a baking sheet. Place the dredged zucchini on top of the wire rack. Make sure to give them a little space. The reason we use the wire rack here is to help facilitate air circulation on both sides of the zucchini....this gets that extra crispy factor that makes them so yummy!

Here they are, ready to go in the oven. Place them in your 425 degree preheated oven. Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and crispy. Have fun tasting them as they get close to being ready!

Take them out of the oven and enjoy the fruits of your labor!

The verdict was good....he liked them and said he'd eat them if (WHEN!) I make them again.
Success!

Go try these out on your picky eaters :)
Mary



3 comments:

  1. I really want to try this! Sounds delicious!! Thanks Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric and I make these all the time now!!! Love love love them. Thanks Mary!!!

    ReplyDelete