Saturday, July 23, 2011

Recipe Share: Roasted Corn and Avocado Salad

Mary here.... I made an excellent summertime salad this week that was so delicious I knew I had to share! It is based on a salad that Brittany at eatingbirdfood.com made. As soon as I saw her recipe, I knew I had to try it as soon as possible!

Ingredients: [Serves 8-12]
6 ears of fresh corn
1 medium ripe avocado
1 small diced red onion
Juice of 1 lime
3-4 Tablespoons of cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste

Begin by roasting the corn. I did this a couple weeks ago, and instead of cutting the corn off the stalks, I peeled back the husks applied my seasonings and dug in! For those of you who are fortunate enough to have a grill, that is a good option. I did mine in the oven - 425 degrees for 35-45 minutes. You simply lay the corn (still in the husks) in the oven, close the door, and come back when the timer goes off! Voila :)
Here's my corn fresh out of the oven.... [Note the recipe calls for more corn, but I'm only cooking for one so I used 3 ears of corn total]

After removing the corn from the oven and letting it cool for a few moments, I peeled the warm husks back. (On a side note, the corn looked a little bit less than clean, so I took a damp paper towel and wiped the corn down before proceeding to the next step). This made a handle for me to hold while I cut the corn off of the ears. Do this into a large bowl so you don't lose any of the yummy kernels! I just used a small, sharp knife to do this. Make sure to have a good grasp on the corn before starting - and propping it against the side of the bowl helps to steady it.

Next, (sorry for the blurry picture!) dice up your red onion and add it to the bowl of corn.




Then, cut your lime and squeeze the juice of it over the corn and onion! Yum, at this point I could barely resist taking a quick bite...











Grab your avocado now! Make sure it's ripe. Unfortunately, I couldn't get any ripe ones when I went to the store which delayed my making of this salad for a few days. I placed my avocado in a brown paper bag to help the ripening. Once ripe, get your avocado and cut it in half from top to bottom. What I do to cut it from here is take a small paring knife and make slices from top to bottom in the avocado...probably 4 per half. Then make slices in the other direction = little chunks of avocado, still in the skin. From this point I just push on the skin over the bowl and the little pieces pop right out. Some might need a little extra assistance....



Wash your cilantro and chop it up. Add as much as you'd like! My mom and I were just talking about how we can't even comprehend not liking cilantro - we LOVE it! Such great flavor. (If you're one of those who don't, the original recipe called for basil which you could substitute here). Now add a little salt and pepper, stir, and taste. Add more as needed!



Last step is here... I know you've been patient! Get a serving spoon and get a nice hearty portion for yourself. Place a little cilantro on top for garnish and dig in!

As yummy as this salad was right after making it, it was that much better the next day when the flavors had a chance to mingle and marry in the fridge overnight! Enjoy this one - it's delicious, light and fresh...the perfect summer salad!

Mary

2 comments:

  1. Yummo, I am ready to make this week. Thanks for keeping up blog Mary, this momma is crazy busy this summer with kid, boot camp, training high school water polo girls and foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary thanks for sharing this great recipe! I've made a similar one that has black beans which adds some protein if you want it! You've inspired to make this salad this week!

    ReplyDelete